DRM-600 CELL-VU® Sperm Counting Chamber
For sperm counts in undiluted specimens. The CELL-VU® Cytometer consists of a standard (3 x 1?), specially-designed glass slide and a coverslip with the counting grid laser-etched into its surface. Disposal of the entire apparatus eliminates cleaning and minimizes clinician exposure to body fluids. Both the slide and coverslip are marked to ensure correct use. The coverslip’s 1 x 1 mm grid is divided into 100, 0.1 mm areas and is thin enough to use under high magnification without special adapters or reticles. The slide consists of two chambers (for dual determinations), each with a depth of 20 µm. This depth is optimal for sperm cells to form in a monolayer, movement is unencumbered, motility can be assessed and counts are made easily.
25 Slides/50 Grid Coverslips
Semen Testing – DRM-600
General chamber preparation for semen testing
- Mix the sample thoroughly just before testing.
- Pipette one drop (approximately 4 microliters) of specimen. Place the specimen at the extreme edge of one of the sampling areas. Two tests can be performed using one CELL-VU® slide.
- Make sure the CELL-VU® name on the cover glass is facing the observer as the grid is etched on the reverse side.
- Gently lower the cover glass over the specimen so that the edge of the cover glass just covers the sample.
- Slide the cover glass into position as shown in Figure D. This will eliminate air bubbles from the counting area.
Using CELL-VU® for sperm counts and motility
Isolate and view the CELL-VU® grid. This grid is divided into 100 small boxes each 0.1 x 0.1 mm.For undiluted sperm count all motile and non-motile sperm within 10 small boxes of this grid. Divide this number by 2. This result is the concentration of sperm in millions/ml.
Suggestions:For increased accuracy, count all sperm within the entire grid (100 boxes). Multiply the count by 50,000 to obtain the total concentration of sperm/ml.